I began teaching Group Obedience Classes for the Montgomery County SPCA when I was 16. I have also taught group classes for Petco, Golden Retriever Rescue, Education & Training and Capital Area Shiloh Shepherd Association. In addition, I partnered with Susan Rhoades for a time & was in charge of obedience classes at Keepstone Farm.
I spent five years as the chief trainer at Serendipity Animal Sanctuary, Inc. SASI is one of the largest privately owned sanctuaries on the east coast. This facility cares for an average on 100 dogs on any given day.
I put my heart and soul into my rehabilitation and enrichment program for “my kids.” I worked with countless abandoned, abused and neglected dogs. Some of which were totally traumatized and others were just desperate for love. During those years I dealt with every behavior problem you can imagine. I also gained experience handling wolf hybrids and disabled canines.
We had a full fledged agility course at our disposal. Most of the dogs really enjoyed this activity and it served as a great confidence builder. Most importantly, it was about spending quality time and developing their potential in some area whether it was obedience exercises, tracking, search games, herding or retrieving (this often meant a swim in the pond – great fun on hot days). Field trips to local parks and shopping centers made for excellent socialization and an opportunity to evaluate them.
Many of “my kids” went on to earn their Canine Good Citizen Award and serve as Therapy Dogs on their journey to their Forever Home.
I was a founding member of Golden Retriever Rescue, Education & Training (GRREAT). One of their earliest Foster Homes, 27 golden retreivers came into my heart and home during that time. I volunteered often – organized and judged their annual Golden Olympics, evaluated dogs before they entered the system, hosted Information Booths at various rescue events, and provided Open Obedience Demonstrations at GRREAT “Adoption Days”.
I was also a Foster Home once for Rampart K9 Security Patrol. A friend worked for them and one of their dogs was injured in the line of duty. He was seven years old so they decided to retire him. His name was King, he was a German Shepherd. I was only 17 at the time, but I learned a lot about handling a working Protection Dog in public from that experience.
I was appointed the founding President of my regional chapter, Capital Area Shiloh Shepherd Association. I was re-elected for the 4 years following. I organized and assisted in many activities such as rescue efforts, Information Booths at Pet Expos, judged Novice Obedience Match Shows, evaluated & certified ISSR adult Temperament Tests, arranged for sheep herding lessons, hosted Conformation Shows and AHBA sanctioned events. I created the CASSA Drill Team performance routine and the CASSA Search and Rescue Aptitude Testing .
Most importantly (especially for a Rare Breed) I organized the three year mission which resulted in official recognition from the American Herding Breed Association.
Lastly, here are a few related jobs prior to starting Shadow Hill Dog Training in ’81:
- Vet Tech Apprentice – North Rockville Animal Hospital
- Kennel Manager – Pet Pad Boarding
- Assistant Manager – Dr’s Pet Center
- Assistant Groomer – Grooming Shop
- Basic Classes – Montgomery County SPCA
- Novice, Open and Utility Classes – Capital Dog Training Club
- Open Classes – Canine Training Association
- Rally O Classes – Blue Ridge Dog Training Club
- Problem Dogs – 1 day Seminar – Tina Barber, Breed Founder
- Fear & Aggression – 2 day Seminar – Shiloh Shepherd Dog Club of America
- How to be a Good Pack Leader – 2 day Seminar – Shiloh Shepherd Dog Club of America
- Protective vs Aggressive – 1 day Seminar – Shiloh Shepherd Dog Club of America
- Shiloh Shepherd Litter Evaluations – Conformation and Temperament – 2 day Seminar – Tina Barber, Breed Founder
- Adult Shiloh Shepherd Temperament Testing with Certification – 1 day Seminar – Tina Barber, Breed Founder
- Handling Classes – George Alston, Professional Handler
- Handling Classes – Capital Dog Training Club
- Canine Movement & Structure – 1 day Seminar – Fred Lanting DVM, AKC Judge
- Shiloh Shepherd Litter Evaluations – Conformation and Temperament – 2 day Seminar -Tina Barber, Breed Founder
- Getting Started in Tracking – 2 day Working Clinic – Potomac Valley Golden Retriever Club
- Coached Group Tracking – 10 Sessions – Potomac Valley Golden Retriever Club
- Air Scenting Seminar – Dogs East Search and Rescue
- Introduction to Tracking Dog Excellent – 2 day Working Clinic – Potomac Valley Golden Retriever Club
- Introduction to Schutzhund – 10 Working Clinics – Shiloh Shepherd Dog Club Of America
- Coached Group Retriever Field Training – 50 Sessions with 2 Dogs – Potomac Valley Golden Retriever Club
- Herding Instinct – 6 Lessons each for 3 dogs – Susan Rhoades, AHBA & ASCA Judge
- Herding Capability – 6 Lessons each for 2 dogs – Susan Rhoades, AHBA & ASCA Judge
- Junior Herding Dog – 6 Lessons each for 2 dogs – Susan Rhoades, AHBA & ASCA Judge
- Herding Trial Arena Dog – 10 Lessons each for 3 dogs – Susan Rhoades, AHBA & ASCA Judge
- Herding Ranch Dog – 1 Lesson for 1 dog – Susan Rhoades, AHBA & ASCA Judge
- Herding Trial Dog – 1 Lesson for 1 dog – Susan Rhoades, AHBA & ASCA Judge
- Control of Canine Genetic Diseases- 1 day Seminar – George A. Padgett DVM
Call or email me today!
Shadow Hill: 717-251-0540